The 1970s Building – The East Wing
THE 21st CENTURY WATERFRONT THE WEST WING
HISTORY & TIMELINE
The plant, known as the Bluff Furnace, was one of the South’s earliest industrial enterprises. During the Civil War, the area was used as a lookout and a garrison by both Confederate and Union forces. Although the Bluff Furnace was destroyed during the Civil War, it is now a site for archaeological research.
The mansion was designed by architectural firm Mead and Garfield. Abram Garfield was the son of President James Garfield.
Hunter soon rose rapidly through the ranks to become secretary, president and finally, chairman of the board, of the company that franchised bottling of Coca-Cola in almost every state in the Union. He became one of Chattanooga’s most respected philanthropists.
July 12, 1952
Mrs. Otto K. LeBron donated the work in honor of her husband. He had found it, dirty and dust-covered, in an attic, restored it, and for many years displayed it in his local jewelry store, Edwards & LeBron.
After the opening of the 1975 building, the museum grew rapidly. With consistent funding from the National Endowment for the Arts, Allied Arts (now ArtsBuild) and the Lyndhurst and Benwood Foundations, the museum set about to build its collection of works by American artists.
The Hunter Museum became an active partner with the City of Chattanooga, the Tennessee Aquarium, and the Creative Discovery Museum to complete this public/private venture in less than three years.
The Hunter Museum portion of the 21st Century Waterfront Plan is completed. This $22 million expansion and renovation project includes the addition of 28,000 square feet of new construction designed by Randall Stout and Associates, 34,000 square feet of renovation, restoration of the 1905 mansion, the creation of an outdoor sculpture plaza, and a complete reinstallation of the Museum’s permanent collection.