EVOLUTION OF A MUSEUM
DOUGLAS FIR HALL | ON VIEW NOW
Evolution of a Museum is supported by:
With three buildings spanning different architectural periods and housing an important collection of American art, the Hunter Museum commands quite a physical presence on the bluff overlooking the Tennessee River and, since its 1952 founding, has played a critical role in Chattanooga’s cultural life.
The physical development of the Hunter Museum, from the 1905 mansion owned by George Thomas Hunter to the 1975 and 2005 additions, reflects international architectural and building trends, mirrors decades of change in Chattanooga itself, and has kept pace with the museum’s growing collection, which some might say includes the buildings themselves. The museum’s newest exhibition, Evolution of a Museum, delves into the legacy of George Thomas Hunter, the architecture of its three buildings, and the growth of the Hunter as an institution.
Media support provided by the Chattanooga Times Free Press